In a world where every second counts, streamlining your checkout process can significantly impact your bottom line. Get ready to explore Shopify POS— this is my review to help you realize its speed, reliability, and ability to enhance your customer experience.
|Top Features||Omnichannel Selling, Convenient Inventory And Staff Management, Reporting and Analytics.|
|Associated Monthly Fees||Varies depending on the selected plan (Advanced, Shopify, Basic).|
|Payment Processing||Shopify Payments are included with transaction fees based on the plan.|
Shopify POS Features – Deep Dive
Shopify POS is a point-of-sale system that helps businesses manage their retail operations smoothly. Let’s dive deep into its features in detail and see how they measure up.
1. Omnichannel Selling: Seamless Shopping Experience
Shopify POS lets you sell in-store and online seamlessly.
You can offer options like local pickup, shipping from the store, and online returns in-store. It’s convenient for customers and helps you cater to different shopping preferences.
2. Smart Inventory Management: Efficient Stock Control
Managing inventory is made easier with Shopify POS. It provides smart recommendations for reordering based on product performance and seasonality.
You can also request transfers between locations, receive low stock alerts, and analyze inventory performance to make informed decisions.
3. Staff Management: Streamlined Team Operations
With Shopify POS, you can efficiently manage your staff.
You have control over permissions, can set up manager approvals, assign custom roles, and track sales for commissions. It helps you ensure accountability and track staff performance.
4. Checkout: Smooth and Convenient Transactions
Shopify POS offers a smooth and customizable checkout experience.
You can process exchanges, save and retrieve carts, apply discounts, calculate taxes automatically, send custom receipts, and accept various payment methods. It ensures a hassle-free checkout process for both customers and staff.
5. Products: Easy Organization and Selling
Organizing and managing your products is a breeze with Shopify POS.
You can add unlimited products, categorize them into collections, track inventory across different sales channels and locations, and create barcode labels. It helps you stay organized and efficiently handle your product catalog.
6. Customers: Building Customer Relationships
Building strong customer relationships is important, and Shopify POS provides tools to help you with that.
You can create customer profiles, track purchase history, contact customers via email or SMS, reward loyalty, and collect marketing preferences. It enables you to provide personalized experiences and foster customer loyalty.
7. Reporting and Analytics: Informed Business Insights
Understanding your business performance is crucial, and Shopify POS offers robust reporting and analytics features.
You can access daily sales reports, analyze retail sales, track cash flow, monitor product performance, and gain valuable insights for future planning.
8. Hardware: Enhancing Point-of-Sale Experience
Shopify POS offers a range of hardware options to create a complete point-of-sale system.
You can customize your checkout counter with card readers, barcode scanners, receipt printers, cash drawers, and other compatible accessories.
9. Shopify Payments: Simplified Transaction Processing
Shopify POS simplifies payment processing with Shopify Payments.
It accepts credit cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and other popular methods. You get transparent pricing, cash-flow management, chargeback management, and detailed reports, eliminating the need for additional payment processors.
10. Additional Payments: Flexible Payment Options
In addition to Shopify Payments, you can also accept gift cards, split payments, offer email gift cards, and create custom payment types.
It provides flexibility in accepting payments and enhances the customer experience.
11. Marketing: Promoting Your Brand Effectively
Shopify POS offers marketing tools to promote your brand.
You can encourage product reviews, capture customer emails for email marketing, integrate with social media, and sync with Google Merchant Center. It helps you engage with customers and expand your brand’s reach.
Shopify POS Software and Hardware Pricing
Now, let’s talk about the pricing of Shopify POS software and hardware components.
Shopify POS operates on a subscription basis. To start with, Shopify offers three plans with a basic POS feature called POS Lite. Here’s a quick look at these plans.
- Basic Shopify POS ($25/month): This plan includes essential features for running a physical store, with unlimited products, staff accounts, and 24/7 support.
- Shopify POS ($65/month): This plan offers additional features like professional reports, gift cards, and hardware peripheral support.
- Advanced Shopify POS ($399/month): Geared towards larger businesses, this plan provides advanced reporting and analytics, as well as third-party shipping rate calculations.
- Shopify Plus (Custom Pricing): Shopify Plus is a high-end plan for big businesses with special needs. It offers custom pricing and provides advanced features, dedicated support, and tailored solutions to help businesses grow successfully.
Shopify POS Fees
Shopify POS also has different payment processing fees based on the chosen plan.
Here’s a quick rundown of these fees:
- Basic Shopify Plan: The payment processing fee is 2.9% of the transaction amount plus an additional 30 cents.
- Shopify Plan: The payment processing fee is 2.6% of the transaction amount plus an additional 30 cents.
- Advanced Shopify Plan: The payment processing fee is 2.4% of the transaction amount plus an additional 30 cents.
These fees apply to credit card payments processed through Shopify Payments.
Please keep in mind that plan pricing may vary, and Shopify might introduce new plans or adjust pricing tiers. It’s best to check their website for the most accurate and current information.
Extra Tip: As a quick little heads up, all the Shopify plans are on offer right now – you can get all the way up to the Advanced plan and just pay $1 for the first two months.
Shopify offers various hardware options to complement its software. Here are some examples of their hardware pricing:
- Retail Kit ($219): Tap & Chip Card Reader With Dock, an iPad Retail Stand, and a Mounting Kit
- Shopify POS Go ($399/$429 With Case): A compact device that combines a card reader and barcode scanner. It includes a protective case and an adjustable hand strap for added security and comfortable use.
- WisePad 3 Reader ($69): A versatile card reader that supports various payment methods, including chip, contactless, and mobile wallet payments.
- 1D Barcode Scanner ($229): A barcode scanner that reads standard 1D barcodes. This scanner can be used to quickly and accurately scan product barcodes during checkout.
- Standalone Tap & Chip Card Reader ($49): This one is a small device that helps Shopify merchants accept safe payments from customers using touchless (tap-to-pay) and chip cards (EMV).
Shopify offers various hardware options, and you can choose the ones that suit your business needs.
Who Should Get Shopify POS Lite?
Shopify POS Lite is a good choice for small businesses or entrepreneurs who mainly sell in-person and have a small number of products.
It offers essential features at an affordable price, making it practical for those starting out or with basic retail needs.
Who Should Get Shopify POS Pro?
Shopify POS Pro is suitable for established businesses or retailers who need advanced features like detailed reporting, gift cards, and hardware support.
The higher price is justified for businesses that can benefit from the additional functionalities and require robust management tools.
Shopify POS Alternatives to Check Out
If you’re not a fan of what Shopify POS offers, you could take a look at some of these alternatives. They’re not as good as Shopify – some not in terms of affordability, and others in terms of efficiency. But still, they’re some of the best I’ve come across.
Square is a popular alternative to Shopify POS, offering a range of features and services for businesses of all sizes.
What makes Square a good alternative to Shopify POS is its simplicity, user-friendliness, and affordability.
Square provides an easy-to-use interface, comprehensive inventory management, and payment processing solutions that cater to various industries.
Clover is another notable alternative to Shopify POS, especially suitable for businesses in the hospitality and service industry.
Clover offers a variety of hardware options, robust point-of-sale features, and specialized tools such as tableside ordering and inventory tracking. Its versatility and integration capabilities make it a strong contender in the market.
eHopper is a cost-effective alternative to Shopify POS, particularly appealing to small businesses and startups.
It offers a range of features, including inventory management, customer management, and reporting.
eHopper stands out for its affordability and flexibility, making it a suitable choice for businesses looking for a budget-friendly point-of-sale solution.
Does Shopify POS report to IRS?
Shopify POS does not directly report to the IRS. It provides sales reports and data that can be used for tax reporting purposes.
Does Shopify POS charge for cash transactions?
No, Shopify POS does not charge any additional fees for cash transactions. It is only applicable to credit card transaction fees.
Can employees clock in on Shopify POS?
No, Shopify POS does not have built-in clock-in/clock-out functionality for employees. It primarily focuses on point-of-sale operations.
Does Shopify POS need a card reader?
Yes, to process credit card payments, Shopify POS requires a card reader. It offers compatible card readers that can be integrated with the system.
Does Shopify POS need Wi-Fi?
Shopify POS can operate offline using the Shopify POS app. However, Wi-Fi is required for certain features like processing online payments and syncing data.
Can I use my phone for Shopify POS?
Yes, you can use your phone as a device to run Shopify POS. The Shopify POS app is available for iOS and Android devices, allowing you to manage your store on the go.
In a nutshell, Shopify POS is perfect for merchants who want a reliable and efficient point of sale system. It has powerful features, easy-to-use design, and works seamlessly with the Shopify platform. It helps businesses simplify operations, increase sales, and provide unforgettable customer experiences.