Are you planning on selling used items on Shopify? Ever wondered if it’s allowed or not?
In this article, not only will we answer that question but, we will go in depth on how to sell used items on Shopify.
Can Used Products Be Sold On Shopify?
Yes you can. You have to understand that Shopify is just a platform you can create your store.
Additionally, the platform’s versatile customization options and support features make it easier to ensure that used items are presented in a professional and accurate manner.
The platform enables entrepreneurs to create an online store and sell anything from physical to digital products.
Used items can be presented to customers as gently used and well-cared-for products.
It is important to note that all items sold must meet Shopify’s Rules & Regulations and any applicable local regulations.
Where to find used items to sell on Shopify?
You can source these used items from anywhere in your local area. It’s best to always find a supplier or “used product” source from somewhere close to you as you can check the quality of the product before listing it on your Shopify store. Here are some examples of places you can find used products:
- Listing Sites – There are many good deals to be found on online listing stores such as eBay. People sell anything and everything on these sites, so you will likely find good deals on any products you’re researching. The only issue here is that you won’t be able to physically test the product, but as long as the supplier is reliable, you can find used products that are viable to sell.
- Thrift Shops – You can find multiple categories of donated used items at decent prices. If you’re lucky, some of these products may be brand new, while others have a high resell value.
- Clearance Sales – At certain times of the year, many retail stores tend to have clearance sales for old or underselling products. You will need to visit these sales and do an in-person inspection to identify if the products are still usable and can be sold.
- Social Media Marketplace – Similar to listing sites, people will post items they want to sell quickly at these marketplaces, namely the Facebook Marketplace. These sellers are generally willing to negotiate the price, so you may end up with a better deal than expected.
- Auctions – Depending on the type of auction you visit, you may find products at much lower prices. This is especially true if there aren’t many people bidding or if the item itself isn’t popular enough to rack up a high price.
- Ask around – There is potential for used products all around you. Simply ask the people you know who may be willing to give you old products or stocks of items at reduced prices. This will depend on your relationship with these people, but it wouldn’t hurt to try.
How to Sell Used Items on Shopify
Selling used items on Shopify is the same as selling any other products. You just need to know the basics of the platform and setting up a store, and you’re good to go!
1. Create Your Shopify Store
Your first step will be to visit the Shopify website and then click on the Get Started button. You will then be prompted to fill in a few fields with the necessary information such as your email address and the name of your online store.
You will again be prompted to enter personal data, select a package and activate your store. Once the activation is complete, you can use the Shopify dashboard to set up your store by setting the currency you want to use, tax and shipping rates in your country, payment processors, and more.
2. Add your products to the products page
From the Shopify admin panel, you will be given a bunch of options to update your Shopify store. Among these buttons, you will find the “Add products” button. If you have already decided on the products you want to sell, then simply click on the button.
You will then need to give the product a good heading/title, and product description and set a price. Make sure that you mention that the product is used (if it is). Ideally, you should try to give your potential customers an idea of the quality of the product. For example, you can mention how long it was used and the condition of the product.
If you want to make sales without facing customer problems in the future, then you need to ensure that all the necessary information is provided. Nobody wants to receive a used product when they think they’ve purchased a brand-new one. Any complaints made to Shopify will result in your store being banned, so make sure to include all the pertinent details.
3. Start promoting your Shopify store
To gain more visibility and traction for your new Shopify store, you need to implement an effective marketing strategy. Utilizing the platform’s built-in tools and leveraging existing social media accounts can be great starting points for improving your store’s exposure. Twitter and Facebook are great for getting the word out about your store to the right target market.
Additionally, you may want to consider using paid advertising platforms, such as Google Ads or Facebook ads, to reach a larger audience quickly. This is important, especially in the beginning stages, to get the traffic flowing. Once users find out about your store, they may be more likely to come back. You need to get eyes on the store first, before you move on to more advanced marketing strategies.
3 Ways of Promoting Your Used Items Shopify Store
1. Make Tiktoks Showcasing Your Product
TikTok has quickly become one of the most popular social media platforms, especially for younger audiences. When it comes to marketing used products on Shopify, TikTok is an excellent way to get started. You can use this platform to create fun and engaging videos that showcase your products in creative ways.
The first step is to create a TikTok account and create videos that feature your used products. Make sure to include hashtags in your videos so that they can be easily found by potential customers. You can also use relevant trending topics in your videos to reach a larger audience.
When creating the video, make sure to provide detailed descriptions of the product, including any unique features or benefits. Use high-quality photos or videos to show off the product, and use a catchy tune as the background music. Make sure you also share positive customer reviews and testimonials to help boost your credibility and trustworthiness.
2. Create Pins For your Product on Pinterest
Pinterest is great for sharing image-based content. You can create a Pinterest board featuring your used products and add engaging descriptions to each pin. Be sure to include high-quality images that showcase the product and use hashtags to help boost visibility. You should aim to create multiple boards focused on specific categories of products, but highlighting that these are used items. There are many niches to be found on Pinterest, and you can take advantage of these specific target groups to market your products.
Additionally, you can use Pinterest’s ‘Ads’ feature to target specific audiences and increase your reach. By taking advantage of Pinterest’s powerful tools, you can effectively market used products on your Shopify store and increase sales.
3. Find Facebook groups that are interested in buying your product
Facebook can be a great place to find users who are interested in purchasing a particular type of product. By searching and filtering, you will be able to find groups that are focused on particular categories. For example, you could search for groups with keywords such as “used items” or “pre-loved products”. This will help you find Facebook groups with people who are interested in these types of products.
Once found, you can join these groups related to your niche and share posts featuring your used products. Make sure you provide detailed descriptions of the product and use your own photos/videos to make the listing seems more “natural”. You can also invite people on these groups to join special discounts or giveaways related to your product.
Benefits of Selling Used Items on Shopify
- Source products at cheaper costs – Used items are going to be sold at cheaper prices than their original counterparts. By purchasing these products for resale, you are effectively improving your profit margins and spending less as initial capital.
- You can price lower than the competition – As a result of your products costing less to find and purchase, you have the advantage of being able to provide a discount to your customers and make them more appealing for purchase. People looking for used products are looking for the best deal they can get, so lowering the price means a higher probability of sales as well. Due to the low cost of acquisition, you can still make a significant profit margin too.
- You will have full control of the product journey – Since you’re not dealing with 3rd party vendors, you will be able to optimize the process from customer purchase to delivery. You can choose your own packaging, delivery methods, receipts, and more.
- Delivery times will be faster – Unlike with other suppliers, being a used product store, you are likely going to have the products with you on hand. This way, these products can be sent out for delivery the moment an order is received. There is no need to deal with long shipment times or processing times by suppliers.
Things To Keep In Mind
Selling used items on Shopify can be a lucrative opportunity when done correctly, but you also need to be careful that you follow the proper guidelines. Shopify can be very strict when it comes to vendors staying above board. This means that you have to be diligent about how you advertise your products and make sure you stay within the selling guidelines that Shopify has outlined.
Some important points to keep in mind are:
- You need to keep the possibility of customer returns at a minimum. A return signifies that there is something wrong with the product which means you either won’t be able to sell it again or it goes against Shopify guidelines. To avoid this, make sure you inspect every used item you list in your store, provide accurate product descriptions, and take updated product photos.
- To reiterate, all product descriptions should state the exact condition of the items. If the product is not at 100% quality or is slightly damaged, the customer needs to be notified in advance. If they aren’t, your products are more than likely going to be returned.
- The Returns Policy for your Shopify store should be displayed clearly on your product pages. Customers should be aware before purchasing about whether or not a product can be returned. This will reduce the possibility of customers complaining to Shopify about your store.
- Just because you can find used items to sell doesn’t always mean that you can easily sell them. You will need to do a complete market research to identify if there is a possibility for these used products to be sold. If there is no market, no amount of marketing or advertising is going to make your store successful.
- Set up your product journey early – Identify how you’re going to ship your products early on. To get customers to return to your store, you need to give them a reason to come back. Fast shipping times are a definite plus and can help with customer retention rates.
Related: Can You Sell Anything On Shopify
Can you sell used clothes on Shopify?
Yes, used clothes can also be sold on Shopify stores. You just need to make sure that they are in wearable condition and clean. They should also be free of damage and mold which can make other people sick if they come in contact with it.
Can you sell used books on Shopify?
Yes, used books can definitely be sold on Shopify. It would work similarly to other used bookstores. As long as the text can be read and the book itself isn’t badly damaged, any book can be resold on Shopify.
In conclusion, selling used items on Shopify is a great way to make money. It provides a unique platform for entrepreneurs to reach a wide variety of customers, and it also allows them to make more money than if they were to sell the same items at a traditional brick-and-mortar store.
With the right strategy and dedication, you can create a good revenue stream for yourself while also providing customers with access to quality second-hand products. Of course, it is important to understand the rules and regulations of Shopify and to stay above board with how you approach selling these items. As long as you stay within the lines, you won’t have any problems with the platform.